Sunday 14 September 2014

Task: Misleading Combinations

As long as photography has existed, so have tricks to fool the viewer - from post mortem imagery to famous paper fairies, fluttering slightly in the wind.

After examining and discussing a series of staged, faked and unbelievable pictures, we were set off on the task of creating our own unbelievable images.

As I'd not managed to complete the homework, I did not have the starting images to edit and mislead. So instead I took inspiration from Terry Gilliam (the animator responsible for many of the connecting sequences between Month Python sketches) and sought to take a classical figure and place them in menial or unlikely places.

The first outcome of this process was the simplest and perhaps most misleading image I created. 



I have had great fun showing this image to friends and family with the introductory line "I didn't use photoshop. This is totally unedited and a picture I took with my iPhone." Mostly because nobody has thus far managed to guess that the figure of Venus is blue-tacked to a window.

Along this line of thinking, my classmate and I manipulated the following image using a photograph of the bathroom in the college, and images from Titian's Bacchus and Ariadne. 



I had a great amount of fun working with this image, and the juxtaposition of the situation against the sophistication of the figures is certainly a source of humour that I would like to experiment with further in future work.

I believe that if I had more time to work on images such as these, I would experiment more with what can be achieved by simply sticking figures to windows; an astonishingly simple and effective action.


No comments:

Post a Comment