Friday 19 September 2014

Fashion and Textiles: Part 1

The three days spent completing the fashion and textiles rotation was rather intensive work.

The first day started by selecting our favourite paintings and using inspiration from them to create 3 small 3D paper samples, each drawing from a different section and feature of the painting. My selected painting was 'the Solidity of Fog' by Luigi Russolo. 



This first one was inspired by the moon in the piece, and the ripples in the fog, acting as an echo.


This second piece was an attempt to put further emphasis on the ripples.


The final model was created in more of a rush than I had anticipated, despite giving up my break in order to finish these pieces. Nevertheless, it is expressive of the way in which the lighter tones of rippling fog wrap around the figures in Russolo's painting.

As you can see, the blue in the painting has been included quite minimally on white, an inverse to balance in the painting. Whilst I do love the simple cleanliness that is brought to mind from the colour scheme, it was only implemented out of practicality - I had a blue marker pen and white paper to work with.

The time before (and during) lunch was spent making ten larger copies of the samples. I chose to replicate my original design, as it was the most interesting design.

In groups, we then spent time arranging samples on mannequins; our own and other peoples. This was useful practise getting comfortable with the ease of simple experimentation.


I then managed to transport all of my samples safely home, and am currently looking for a way in which to include them in the interior design and lighting without them catching fire.




No comments:

Post a Comment