Sunday 21 September 2014

Fashion and Textiles: Part 2

The second day was spent developing potential designs for a garment. This first begun with the manipulation of already existing images from fashion spreads in magazines.

By adding to these images in a creative way, we not only explored the possibility of 3D structure in collage, but built up a momentum of developing ideas for future design.


Afterwards, we made tenplates of ten different garments, and cut them out of our favourite painting. What was a long and tedious task did herald worthy results, however, as a specific image I ended up with became the basis for the next task that day; making designs.




Upon viewing my designs, everybody had concluded much the same thought as I did after seriously considering the quick sketches; Queen Elizabeth I meets space - like the Christmas special of Blackadder. 

I had decided to design exclusively outerwear - coats and jackets. I very much enjoyed this entire day, as it was very rewarding to see vagueness and experiments form into full ideas quite so succinctly. 

Beyond reminding myself of how much I enjoy designing clothes, I have learnt a great deal about simply letting my designs flow forth; very little thought was put into the shown designs and because of that lack of thought, there is a refreshing lack of criticism on my part. I can simply enjoy them for the products they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment