Friday 27 March 2015

FMP Week 2

Still using the components from the sewing machine, I considered the screws again.

I mean to say, if I am taking the screws from all of these objects, reducing them to almost identical multiples, how can you change anything else? I will end up with piles and piles of screws, and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

This is the point where I need to ask if there is a difference at all? I began this sort of work by trying to remove some of the most important things (structurally) and end up removing the function, but with this I've taken away the most defining characteristics. Are the screws entirely meaningless? I think that because I've been thinking so hard, and then attempting to avoid thinking entirely, I've lost the plot.



So after arranging these screws, it's getting dull - it's the same thing I've been doing, and I enjoy working with the materials but no matter what I do I just don't feel like I'm making any progress. Perhaps its because this week I haven't asked my peers any specific questions concerning my work, especially important to me because the structure of my project does rely on exactly how people perceive them.

And how will people perceive them here? As photos. Because I've taken the pieces and divorced them from all semblance of meaning and purpose, are photos not just as meaningful? I will have to see about it with my next object.

No comments:

Post a Comment