Thursday 5 March 2015

The 2D

Enthused with the wonder of the solar system (a very exciting thing) I kept thinking about gravity, and how concisely the previous line of experimentation seemed to have expressed the concept to me.

The work I then produced was a bit of a tangent. Having previously rejected the notion of including additional materials I went and brought in a fine liner. The image below is an A4 drawing using black fine liner straight into my sketchbook, and it was an attempt to create a textured density - using dots and scratches and scribbles I tried to make a 2D representation of gravity.




Whether or not I succeeded in that I am still not entirely sure - some people think it's obviously expressing a shift in density and instantly think of planets and stars, and some people have exclaimed "it's like a jam donut!", and I don't think they're wrong either.

I then was not content to move on - not least because I had run out of machines to take apart. I photocopied the piece several times, enlarging it and cutting it up and re-arranging even the image itself. 


Above is my favourite example - I had already experimented with ribboning and changing the display of photographs before, and this image greatly interests me because I have not changed the density nor mass of the image, the entire thing is there, and yet we see twice as much and only half at the same time.

We fill in the blanks to find the whole thing, and end up with two.

Whether or not I choose to make any more drawings along this line of thinking, I am not sure. I really enjoyed making it (for five hours, it occupied a fair train journey) and it was an interesting tangent to explore, however I feel that it it precisely that - tangental - to a lot of the work I was creating before.

Nevertheless, if I naturally respond to future forms I create in the future with this sort of drawing, I won't stop it from happening.



No comments:

Post a Comment