Friday 13 March 2015

Final Major Project Proposal

Throughout this course I have been able to test out new media and ways of working, and have thoroughly enjoyed the ability to explore the subject of Fine Art with a greater freedom. Since the beginning of term I have been steadily progressing away from structured projects and into self-driven study, work that has led me to consider the deconstruction of objects, and the act of removing an object from it’s only function.

I have also been considering how presentation affects perception, be it in photographs, object suspension, the varying heights of plinths or displayed simply on the floor – one piece can be interpreted in many ways if presented in a different manner, especially when the name of it can hold such power over the preconceptions of the viewer.

The main objectives of the project are to gain a better understanding of how reducing an object to components, displaying these parts, and changing the way in which we refer to them might affect our perception and understanding of the art. 

The concept of my project centres heavily around our use of objects, and our perceptions of their space, density, form and function. My initial starting point will be the deconstruction of various objects and appliances, and from there the direction of the project will depend entirely of what I find.

Possible items include an old sewing machine, a lawn mower and a DVD player. Two purely mechanical tools and one that will contain various parts of circuitry; hopefully to provide a large variety of screws and components. After deconstructing these appliances I will explore the possibilities of simplifying them, asking how much can be taken away before the item is no longer itself, at what point it becomes impossible to argue that it still has purpose.

I also hope to use this project to examine the nature of our preconceived ideas when viewing the deconstructions that I create – just how much of an impact does the title have? Is it necessary in order for the pieces to be understood at all, or will there be some other meaning attributed to the pieces?

I intend to dismantle a different machine every two weeks, and structure my analysis in two parts – the deconstruction and then the perception. This will allow me to approach each machine in a way similar enough to form a basis from which to compare the results – resting on the assumption that the contents of the objects will provide individual and unique results.

Lastly, as people’s perceptions are such a key theme of my project, I will frequently discuss and review the pieces I create with my peers. This will help me gain a wider understanding of the different interpretations that any one object may inspire, and therefore a greater understanding of the pieces themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment