Friday 3 April 2015

FMP : Additional Research

In an exercise to gain a fresher perspective on the images I’m creating, I entered my own pictures into google images to find similar images online. The sort of objects that are compared are metal, shiny, and some look valuable - obviously because the objects in my own photos are metal, shiny, and honestly look as if they could be made of more precious metals if you didn’t know that they were screws.

I think this sheds some light on why I find the screws to be so aesthetically pleasing - they look as if they could be made of precious metals. Before now people have likened them to toy soldiers, buildings, and figures, but jewellery is a concept that managed to totally pass me by. However, this only really applies to the images I have of gold screws.











I also laid out all of the unique screws I found in the sewing machine, as another attempt to sort them into some form of order. The image itself does a good job of highlighting the variation in on machine alone, and the resulting similar images from the google search validate comments made by my tutor, who is constantly reminded of a type face when looking at my presentations - it’s already true to say that these images are a form of communication, and if we extend the metaphor then it’s obvious that each screw is a letter or character of a written language. 

Interestingly, a host of charts also appeared, most notably the bar chart - the different heights of the screws create different levels, and again, now it has been brought to my attention it is very difficult to not draw the comparison. 




Unsurprisingly, laying out all the black screws in a line had much the same effect when I decided to google image search them - where my peers had again said they thought of either font, or some numerical system, google agreed. Most of the images were plain black font on white paper (unsurprisingly) and then a few loading symbols.


Whilst I wouldn’t have given much thought to someone who had said ‘loading pages’, its a very valid comment. When comparisons like ‘language’ and ‘soldiers’ are made, one of the things they have in common is that they are waiting at the ready - a language is there to be read, an army to be ordered, they’re ready in position for a second party. They won’t do much on their own, just like the screws themselves. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment