Tuesday 7 October 2014

Graphics: Part 2

After missing a morning due to an appointment, I tagged along with a group activity for the afternoon that involved creating a product or franchise, and completing a presentation to show the rest of the class. Unfortunately, as I spent the whole afternoon catching up on the morning, I have very little show for what time I was in, especially as the majority of contributions that I made were verbal.

However, on the final day of our graphics rotation, we were set the task to create 6 15x15cm square designs, in order to represent better who we were. These designs found their creating roots in the 10 pages of preparatory 'doodles' and 'not-scribbles-but-still-kind-of-random-designs' we had to complete for homework.

Obviously this meant that I revisited a few of the conclusions I had drawn earlier in the rotations in which we had to ask ourselves the questions of 'who am I?' 'what does that mean?'. As I had already concluded that I am expressed best by showing what I love, I started by drawing my surroundings and working outwards and into relationships, and far more conceptual designs.




Above are a selection of the pages from which I drew my 6 designs, and below are the more refined plans I made for the 6 squares.



Whilst I experimented with various colours and sizes, I decided that the blue pen I had was not only a lovely colour, but by using it for all the squares presented them as a matching set far better than the content could. To draw each in a minimalist style effectively required me to use pencil to sketch in and measure exactly where I wanted each feature to sit - the sketching actually added a good sense of depth to the otherwise light and thin blue marks, and so I decided not to erase any of my planning whatsoever.

I feel that whilst this adds to the aesthetic, its also interesting to see how I worked - using the pencil sketches it is possible to trace back to how I lay each square out, which adds another type of depth beyond the 'visual' to each square, as the entire process is revealed.



The above photograph is not as clear as I had hoped when it was taken, however it shows all of my completed squares on display how they are intended. I put a lot of thought into how the diagonal, horizontal, and vertical elements of each square would sit together in order to create a neat, balanced layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment