Thursday 27 November 2014

Fixtures and Fittings

The first project of the 3D Design pathway started off with a cardboard box of fixtures; zip-ties, tape, wire, balsa wood, plastic, and cardboard. Then, the instructions to create 10 shapes.






These images show the first set of structures I created without thought. I immensely enjoyed this process. The next stage I took was to consider what each piece might mean, and how I could develop these ideas further.




These are refined versions of earlier pieces. I took themes I could see and attempted to make them far more obvious; family, flight, orbit, freedom. I noticed that all these new creations were suspended from above.

Then, I found a material in a box that had been delivered to my house - a lightweight plastic wrap, slightly spongey to the touch, and smooth. It was so light that it drifted softly and I found this very calming.

After looking at research into structures built like the ArcelorMittal Orbit, Seth Goldstein's calming sculptures, and the series of individual works by Allan Mccollum, I decided that I would use this material to create an installation in order to perpetuate a feeling of calm.




The installation would be a cubic room, featuring the packaging plastic hanging down in strands of different length. In the centre there would be a spiral staircase, that people could step up or down to be in the strands as they wanted.

Whilst I am pleased with the aesthetics of the final concept, I am not happy with the fact that anybody who can't climb stairs would not then be able to experience the installation to the full.

To rectify this, I considered removing the staircase, and have completed a few sketches of alternative shapes to the plastic. The best alternative I have found would be to cover the entire of the ceiling, ranging from long to short, so that you can walk from one end of the room to the other and back again. Whilst I am not sure this would solve all of my problems, it is definitely an avenue I would pursue if given extra time on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment