Saturday 4 October 2014

3D: Spaghetti and glue

The final day of our 3D rotation was spent wrestling with a very unusual and uncooperative material; spaghetti. The task was to create a structure able to support 3 plastic balls above the ground.

In the spirit of efficiency I decided that I would get something done using as few strands of spaghetti as physically possible. After 15 minutes, I realised that this would be possible yet exceedingly boring. I then adorned my frame with extra strands.



This final structure was not terribly large, however it comfortably held the weight if the three plastic balls it was designed to hold. It could have held a fourth, but it would need to be balanced awkwardly atop two others, and did not suit the structure.



Here it is fulfilling its purpose.

We then were tasked with covering this structure with paper as an attempt to protect the structure from a basketball.



As with every single other structure in the class, mine got totally wrecked. If I had the chance to revisit the task I would work an awful lot faster, as I think it would have at least remained somewhat recognisable if I'd had more time to work.

However I thoroughly enjoyed putting thought into designing the structures I could make, as well as considering the designs that my classmates came up with, as there was a huge difference between each individuals work that when considered, gave me a fresh perspective with which to view my own designs.



I found it particularly interesting how most if us considered our own designs to be the 'obvious' idea, despite the variety we created.

As it stands I feel that I did in fact go for a fairly obvious structure, and hope to continue my work by developing more ways of challenging and stretching myself in my designs and products.

No comments:

Post a Comment