Friday 10 April 2015

FMP Week 3

Taking apart the lawn mower was an awful lot of fun - and also revealed something that might seem obvious if you know anything about the structure of a lawn mower - they have very few screws. 



After removing the various nuts and bolts, I had a chunky handful, and several large parts of lawn mover. It makes sense, it’s a heavy duty piece of machinery that has to be tough, it gets pulled and bashed about, so most of it should be fixed much more securely than with just nuts and bolts.


For the final comparison that I have used google to create, one image in particular was very striking - the star of David. Whilst I hadn’t noticed that the image itself was negative, I focused on the star itself - realising that by joining up the six points creates a hexagon, and therefore the outline of the nuts from the machine. 

And after this comparison, it is very easy to see how the shadows in the image might be related to the shadow we see on the moon - and then the lunar cycle. Whilst I am hesitant to so often draw comparisons between the images I create and space - just because it’s one that so often comes up - it’s undeniable that I find something attractive in the concept of uniting something so small and trivial with something so vast.






Because then we can ask, how is a diagram of space any more relevant to your life than the screws holding your lawn mower together? I know that I naturally assume anything in connection with the vastness of space to be much more impressive, and therefore important, but all of those huge rocks floating out there are really just as trivial to me as some screws in a broken lawn mower in a dump across town. It’s really strange to think about things like that, because in perspective these things will have little bearing on how I live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment