Thursday 14 May 2015

FMP Week 6

In my continuing exploration of organic components, I picked flowers from my garden. This time, I didn't find the more direct comparison between the screws and organic components to be too jarring, but I honestly couldn't tell you precisely why that is.

It could be because the flowers provide a splash of colour that prevents the composition from becoming too dull, or perhaps the fact that the flowers are much smaller, allowing for more complex layouts as opposed to two straight rows of components. 



What I also really enjoy about these images is the freshness and novelty of the colour in the context of my work so far. It certainly brings to attention to contrast between what we perceive as 'dead' and 'living', with the 'living' conforming to the vibrancy we would initially associate.



Unfortunately, should I ever wish to include fresh flowers again, they would have to be picked and displayed over the course of two hours at the very most, before the petals began to wither, unless I wanted to communicate the passage of time with the imminent decay of the flowers - an entirely new theme I have not yet explored, as it would open too many doors for my project to remain cohesive.

Instead of the shells, which are clearly a component of a larger whole, the flowers are often considered the pinnacle of the plant, and in picking it for my art I have forcibly removed part of a living organism. This is different from the shells and the screws, which are part of a whole that is considered to be already 'dead' (shells on a beach will become sand, the DVD player had ceased to function already) as the plants still live on in my garden, potentially to grow new flowers to replace those in the photographs.

However, the flower heads are there merely to extend the metaphor - that all these smaller components were part of a functioning whole that has now ceased to be. If I did in fact, display fresh flowers as art (to show that even the components of things that once were, will 'once-be' themselves, a whole new layer to the theory I've been circling) then one would need to see them at the beginning, middle and then, whenever I declared the end to be, which would require time and attention, something that certainly won't be plentiful at the end of year exhibition.

Regardless of the final exhibition, I plan to return to the garden shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment